Start a new topic
Answered

RoyalTS v5 - configure toast notifications

I see that RoyalTS v5 adds toast notifications on Windows 10; are they configurable somewhere? 

For example, I'd like to be able to disable toast notifications on disconnect or file save.

Best Answer

Hi Damien,

if you want to disable the toast notifications you should use the Windows 10 "Notifications & actions" settings. According to MS it's best practice to not offer the option within the app, instead let the user centrally manage notifications from the control panel.

Regards,
Stefan

Answer

Hi Damien,

if you want to disable the toast notifications you should use the Windows 10 "Notifications & actions" settings. According to MS it's best practice to not offer the option within the app, instead let the user centrally manage notifications from the control panel.

Regards,
Stefan

Makes sense. 

I notice there is an option to have it notify on high or normal priority notifications; are all the notifications at the same priority?

Hi Damien,

it seems that they are all the same priority. The component we are using to fire up toasts, does not provide any means to control the priority. Maybe this will be available in a future version.

Regards,
Stefan

Just came across this topic.

This is not entirely correct. My understanding is: 

Microsoft discourages app deveplopers to cannibalize the settings offered by "notifications and actions"

What I (and Damien) like to see is a configuration option so specific actions don't trigger a toast notification - I do not want to disable or silence all RTS toast notifications completely which is what "notifications and actions" offers.

Let me explain:

I'm a RoyalTS heavy user. 95% of my work day I'm in RDP sessions - a few dozens sessions each and every day. Each time I sign out of one I get a "disconnected" toast notification.

I don't need that and I don't want that. It simply distracts from work. The same is true for any atomic write/save operation to a RTS document.

So please let me choose which action triggers a toast notification.

Does that make any sense to you?

1 person likes this

Hi Dominik!

May I kindly ask you to enter a feature request for that in the Ideas forum. It's easier for us to track and get a sense about prioritization.

I understand your point and think it's a good idea to offer more control over the toast notifications.

The challenge here is to provide a good UI/UX as some notifications are plugin dependent and some are from the UI. I'm sure I can come up with something in the next minor release...

Regards,
Stefan

Stefan,

I vote for the feature Dominik mentions.

Thanks,

Pat

1 person likes this

Hi Stefan

On my system (Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.476) with da-dk culture) I can't find settings for Royal TS under "Notifications & Actions" (I do see settings for other apps such as Outlook).

Any hints?

Hi Christian,

there's an issue with Windows not showing all the apps. The newest 5.1 release allows you to configure the notifications in Royal TS directly:

https://content.royalapplications.com/Help/RoyalTS/V5/index.html?reference_options_notifications.htm

Regards,
Stefan

Thank you for the speedy reply Stefan, nice to have that functionality directly in the app now :)

I also agree with what Gauss Dominik says earlier.

Change RoyalTS to allow for disabling some notifications, such as when the user intentionally disconnects a server, or when the user saves a file. These notifications don't even make a lot of sense in the first place.

Hi Abe,

as already mentioned in this thread, we already implemented a way to disable some or all notifications in the View -> Options -> Notification settings:

https://content.royalapplications.com/Help/RoyalTS/V5/index.html?reference_options_notifications.htm

Regards,

Stefan

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment