Start a new topic
Solved

Royal TS 5 crash - msmpeg2vdec.dll_unloaded

Royal TS 5.0.11022

Occasionally (once every few days) RoyalTS will just suddenly close, no prompts or notifications.

Event viewer shows the following error:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
  <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID> 
  <Level>2</Level> 
  <Task>0</Task> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-10-29T18:15:05.820093000Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>5156</EventRecordID> 
  <Channel>Application</Channel> 
  <Computer>M10-4</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
<EventData>
  <Data>Application: RoyalTS.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFBD4CFC540</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
  <Provider Name="Application Error" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID> 
  <Level>2</Level> 
  <Task>100</Task> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-10-29T18:15:06.584049400Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>5157</EventRecordID> 
  <Channel>Application</Channel> 
  <Computer>M10-4</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
<EventData>
  <Data>RoyalTS.exe</Data> 
  <Data>5.0.11022.0</Data> 
  <Data>5bcdeeeb</Data> 
  <Data>msmpeg2vdec.dll_unloaded</Data> 
  <Data>10.0.18267.1001</Data> 
  <Data>b32bd4bf</Data> 
  <Data>c0000005</Data> 
  <Data>000000000017c540</Data> 
  <Data>5520</Data> 
  <Data>01d46f985dd8d368</Data> 
  <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Royal TS V5\RoyalTS.exe</Data> 
  <Data>msmpeg2vdec.dll</Data> 
  <Data>749e7363-4b2e-41cc-aeaf-e432a5c77430</Data> 
  <Data /> 
  <Data /> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Hi,

I did a bit of research and couldn't find much but it seems to be related to codecs used by Microsofts RDP ActiveX control which ships with Windows. Royal TS is using this control and configures it for operation. Maybe it's related to some of the performance settings (like Desktop composition or DirectX). You should also check if there's a newer version of the graphics driver available for your system.

Since this is a "black box" (closed source) component from Microsoft, we do not have any insights what exactly goes wrong. I'm afraid that we can only provide some troubleshooting tips as above...

Regards,
Stefan

I have the same problem since last RoyalTS update. It's bloody annoying. (happens to me every few hours).

It happens even when no RDP session is active, but also when RoyalTS is just idling.

1 person likes this

I'm sorry you are experiencing issues. As mentioned above, the problematic DLL causing the crash is not part of Royal TS. We have dependencies on external libraries (Microsoft and 3rd party) and it seems that this particular library is part of the RDP component which ships with Windows. I've seen other users (using similar tools as Royal TS taking advantage of the RDP ActiveX control) with the same issue. It seems to be graphics related and for some, updating the graphics driver or tweaking the RDP settings improved the situation. That the crash actually happens without an active RDP session is weird. Maybe a different component in our app is also depending on that DLL.

It happens to me as well. It works fine and idles using about 400MB or system ram, then drops the usage to below 40MB and crashes with no error. The old TS v4 works fine, so what ever you changed in the new app increased the memory usage from 100mb to over 400mb and has added random crashing on Windows 10.

Can you please look into this issue, it is not at all good enough to advise '... That the crash actually happens without an active RDP session is weird. Maybe a different component in our app is also depending on that DLL.'  as there is nothing we can do to find the issue. All my drivers are up to date, no rdp connections in use or even added. 

I use Royal TS 4 every day and would like to upgrade to 5, however with the random crashes it is not feasible.

Regards,

Hi Lee,

I'm happy to help but as mentioned above, the crash report in the event log doesn't help us identify the issue. We need to find a way to reproduce the issue of find a pattern which points us to the component involved. This seems to be a very rare edge case because only a couple of users seem to be affected. Maybe a driver related issue. I checked our ticketing system and we have one ticket (from a year ago using V4) with a similar crash where the user was able to resolve the issue by replacing the DisplayLink drivers on the system. I'm not sure if this helps but if this is a driver issue, I'm not sure what we can do to resolve the issue on our side.

Are you, by any chance, using a DisplayLink driver?

Hi Stefan,

I am using a DeLL Display Link. I understand your point here, however my v4 works fine with the same drivers, yet v5 shows the bug. 

How can I help you track it down? I am using updated drivers. 

Kindest Regards,

Can you see a pattern when the crash happens? Is one or more connection active, what kind of connection may be the root cause of the crash? Once we find out which component is responsible, we may be able to find out what's causing it.

For example: if you think RDP is causing the crash, we can tweak and check the settings like hardware acceleration or DirectX, bitmap caching, etc.

If you think the Chrome based web connection is causing the crash, we can also tweak hardware acceleration settings on that connection type.

Both components (maybe others as well) do have extensive codec support, like msmpeg2vdec.dll and do rendering using various techniques.

To add to this. Internet Explorer may also be responsible and we are using IE for various things in Royal TS without the web page connection (Getting Started Page, News, Update Check Window Release Notes, etc.).

In older V4 versions we used Chromium for that but we had to switch back to IE due to other issues with Chromium on systems preventing external worker processes to launch.

This could be the reason why V4 is working better for you (assuming you are using a release where Chromium is used for the mentioned pages) compared to V5.

I can have one ssh connection open and nothing else when it crashes. Could be 5mins, could be 30mins. I thought it may be a memory issue but no, free memory of 4GB still crashes. I note it freezes, memory usage drops to 30mb and then crash. That's a drop from 400-500mb to 30mb. The app blanks out on everything except the open ssh window. ie: no menu's

I don't use the Chromium extension as my av removes it for some reason. 

What version are you using exactly. Our first V5 release had a memory/GDI handle leak (10.000 GDI handles is the limit). You can open up your task manager in the details tab and select the columns handles and GDI objects and keep an eye on the values.

Maybe it's better to open a support ticket, Lee. In case we need more information which you may not want to share publicly.

1 person likes this

Thanks Stefan, I'll do both.

Hi. I am having the exact same problem. Crashes several times a day, with the same error. Has there been any progress in your faultfinding process?

Login or Signup to post a comment