Start a new topic
Answered

Integration with ARCON PAM

We at ARCON have a product PAM(Privilege Access Management) system. It provides a SSO and password vault services.

We want to integrate with Royal TSX. To do that we need to lauch royal TSX auto-create the dynamic folders. When a user opens a new RDP or SSH connection we would like to fetch the password from the Vault API and establish the connection.

I tried to read the https://www.royalapplications.com/go/kb-all-royaljson but still not sure how do we proceed with this requirement.

Best Answer

Hi Kalpesh,

I'm sorry for the delay.

I stepped through the code and found the issue. The problem is that in the JSON the arguments like this:

"Arguments": "-ssh 10.10.0.38 -l $EffectiveUsername$ -pw $EffectivePassword$ -P 22 -X",

will resolve the the $EffectiveUsername$ and the $EffectivePassword$ with the credentials of the dynamic folder.

To ensure the tokens are resolved at connect time using the dynamic credential values, you need to escape the tokens:

"Arguments": "-ssh 10.10.0.38 -l $$EffectiveUsername$$ -pw $$EffectivePassword$$ -P 22 -X",

Let me know if this works.

Regards,
Stefan

Hi Kalpesh,

yes, that's exactly what Dynamic Folders and Dynamic Credentials are for.

We have several sample scripts available in our toolbox repository. We currently have samples for Thycotic Secret Server and Pleasant Password Server available. If you're using another product, you could probably still use the samples as starting point for integrating the PAM solution you use.

Could you please also let us know which product you use?

thx,

felix

One more question: You posted in the Royal TS (for Windows) forum but mentioned Royal TSX in your message. Which product/platform are you using?

I am using Royal TS (for Windows).

Our product is ARCON PAM.

Hi Kalpesh,

I didn't notice that you are actually the vendor of the PAM solution.

So how can I help you with getting your solution integrated with Dynamic Folders?

You already mentioned the documentation which is available here. I guess that's the best starting point as it explains all of the available features in RoyalJSON and Dynamic Folders as well as Dynamic Credentials.

Also, like previously mentioned, it's probably a good idea to study the existing sample scripts we have available in our toolbox repository.

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

cheers,

felix

The readme on https://github.com/royalapplications/toolbox/tree/master/Dynamic%20Folder suggest that to create a dynamic folder the user has to manually "Import - Dynamic Folder". Is there a way to automate this via an external application?

I'm not sure why you would want to automate that step. Could you please elaborate?

If we need an external application to launch Royal TS, we would need to automatically create the dynamic folders. Is there a way to provide the .rdfe as an input while launching ?

Hi Kalpesh,

the purpose of the dynamic folder is that the script embedded is doing all the work and populates the objects based on the json output. I'm not sure why you want to dynamically create a dynamic folder. Maybe there's a misunderstanding but once you have created the dynamic folder with the script, you can simply put this folder in a document and let Royal TS open that document by either command line argument or by using the auto start feature in View -> Options -> General.

If you can provide more information about your scenario, I'm sure I can help you find a proper solution.

Regards,
Stefan

Hi Stefan I've managed to use RoyalJSON to fetch services from API and connect RDP with the password from API.

Now i want to launch an external application using the dynamic folder

I'm using the below json object to create the external app.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{

"Type":"ExternalApplicationConnection",

"Name":"kalpesh-38",

"ComputerName":"10.10.0.38",

"ID": "00004",

"Description": "test",

"CommandWindows": "putty.exe",

"ArgumentsWinodws": "-ssh 10.10.0.38 -l user1 -pw user@111 -P 22 -X",

"WorkingDirectoryWindows": "F:\\app"

}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever i try to launch the app it says "An error occurred while starting the external application: Cannot start process because a file name has not been provided.."

Please find the attached screenshot

royalts.png
(102 KB)

Hi

For this connection type you need to set special properties which have to be addressed differently.

In the docs:

https://www.royalapplications.com/go/rjson-documentation

There's a section called "Advanced scenarios"

{

"ID": "00004",

"Description": "test",

"Properties": {

"Command": "putty.exe",

"Arguments": "-ssh 10.10.0.38 -l user1 -pw user@111 -P 22 -X",

"WorkingDirectory": "F:\\app"

}

}

You can find all properties for the external application connection here:

https://content.royalapplications.com/Help/RoyalTS/V5/index.html?scripting_objectproperties_royalappconnection.htm

Note that we also have TerminalConnectionType in the royalJson docs for these kind of connections.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Stefan

Hi Stefan

Thanks for your response. I am able to create the connection in the dynamic folder in that way. But the arguments are hard coded in the dynamic folder. Can we pass the arguments at connection time just like dynamic credentials. 

I tried to return following json

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{

"Username": "user1",

"Password": "user@111",

"Arguments": "-ssh 10.10.0.38 -l user1 -pw user@111 -P 22 -X"

}

OR

{

"Arguments": "-ssh 10.10.0.38 -l user1 -pw user@111 -P 22 -X"

}

OR

{

"Properties": {

"Arguments": "-ssh 10.10.0.38 -l user1 -pw user@111 -P 22 -X",

"WorkingDirectory": "F:\\app"

}

}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But none are able to supply the arguments at the time of connection. 

Can you help me out here?

This is unfortunately not possible. What part of the arguments are dynamic? If it's the username and password, you can actually use dynamic credentials and use in the Arguments the replacement tokens:

$EffectiveUsername$ and $EffectivePassword$

Then you just have to assign the appropriate dynamic credential to the connection object.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Stefan

If i use the below json the aplication is launched with arguments "-ssh 10.10.0.38 -l  -pw  -P 22 -X"

{

"Description":"test",

"Properties":{

"Arguments": "-ssh 10.10.0.38 -l $EffectiveUsername$ -pw $EffectivePassword$ -P 22 -X",

"WorkingDirectory":"F:\\Test"

},

"CredentialID":"00002",

"ID":"00004"

}

I see you assign the CredentialID "00002" to the object. Is this credential a dynamic credential and returns the dynamic credential script the appropriate username and password?

Login or Signup to post a comment